Welcome to our “30 Years, 1 Wish” page! We hope you can help us achieve our wish of giving back on our 30th birthdays! We’ve been so blessed, and we wanted to do something special and different this year. You’ll find everything you need here on this page: our charities, how to donate, RSVP, where to stay in Atlanta, sponsors and raffle items, and more! If you have any questions, please leave a comment here or ask us!
WE HOPE TO SEE YOU IN SEPTEMBER!!
When: Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 7 PM
Where: Red Brick Brewing Company, 2323 Defoor Hills Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
Cocktail attire requested.
Please remember, this event is 21 and over!
HOW TO DONATE
The majority of all proceeds from online and the party will be split equally between our three charities. Women’s Resource Center has agreed to act as our fiscal agent and distribute the funds to our chosen nonprofits. This means that your donations are tax-deductible! Because of this, your company may match your donation, which means more money for those who need it, YAY! Please look into your company’s matching policies for donating to 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations. If they do, make sure you have all the info you need when you leave the party to ensure that your company can match your donation! You will receive a receipt (through email if you donate online, and in person at the party) and acknowledgment from Women’s Resource Center that you have donated.
If you are attending the party, please remember your wallets to purchase raffle tickets, food from food trucks, and any additional amount you would like to donate. Cash and credit cards ONLY at the event.No Longer Taking Donations. Thanks to all who donated!
Victoria’s charity is the Women’s Resource Center to End Domestic Violence (a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization) in Atlanta, GA. Their mission is to create a society in which domestic violence no longer exists. They strive to meet the immediate needs of the diverse community of battered women and their children by providing emergency shelter and services, while working towards changing the systems that enable violence through education and advocacy. Georgia has the sixth-highest homicide rate in the nation for women killed by men, and most women don’t know how or don’t have the financial means to exit an emotionally, verbally, mentally, and/or physically violent relationship.
- Timmy’s charity is American Indian College Fund (a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization). American Indians still face significant financial hardship. U.S. Census Bureau statistics show that 51% of American Indians living on reservations live below the poverty line. To a Native student, a scholarship can mean the difference between receiving a college degree or dropping out and living in poverty. They provide Native students with scholarships and provide financial support for the nation’s 34 accredited tribal colleges and universities, which incorporate American Indian culture and language into their curriculum to honor students’ heritage and Native identity. They are the nation’s largest and highest-rated American Indian scholarship organization. They provide: scholarships and other support for American Indian students; funding for cultural and language preservation courses and activities; fellowships for tribal college faculty development; leadership development for Native students; and much more.
Our joint charity is Colon Cancer Alliance (a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization), in honor of our close friend and fellow Woodward Academy Alumni, Jake Lyons. The Alliance’s mission is to knock colon cancer out of the top three cancer killers. They are doing this by championing prevention, funding cutting-edge research and providing the highest quality patient support services. Since Jake was diagnosed with Stage 4 colorectal and liver cancer (our party marks 3 years to the day since his diagnosis), he’s been a shining example of hope, determination, and positivity. We’ve known Jake for over 15 years now, and would be honored to play any part in adding to the research for a cure.
Where to Stay in Atlanta and How to Get Around
If you’re headed into Atlanta from out of town or just to stay the night after the party (which we highly encourage you to do because hello, drinking!), we have gotten the best hotel deal for you!! We have a block of 10 rooms reserved for Friday and Saturday night at the Renaissance Inn Marriott Midtown/17th Street for $109/night! All you have to do is call 404-745-1000 for the block of rooms reserved under “30 Years 1 Wish” and use the code is usfusfc (online as well). The hotel is about 15 minutes away from Red Brick, and super close to Piedmont Park, Atlantic Station, Underground, Centennial Park, Coca-Cola Museum, and the GA Aquarium. Book fast because this deal is only good until Sept 1, 2013!
We mean it, book fast because Music Midtown is happening the same weekend in Piedmont Park, and that area will be PACKED! If you’re headed into Atlanta, it might be fun to check it out on Friday and during the day Saturday, but you’d better not miss our party, mister…
The hotel is located at 1365 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30309.
Transportation, Car Rental, and Uber
Atlanta is a bitch to try to use public transportation. MARTA is great going to and from the airport, if you can figure out a way to get to a MARTA station to begin with. We recommend renting a car for the weekend if you’re flying into Hartsfield Jackson because it’s just so much freaking easier. The traffic here is the worst, but hey, you can’t win them all.
After the fiesta, and we cannot encourage this enough, please use a taxi or car service!! There will be a lot of drinking, and we care about your safety (the hangover the next morning? Well, that’s all on you). We would hate hate HATE for anything bad to happen, so use a smartphone app to make it easy, breezy, covergirl. Timmy and I are big fans of Uber, which uses private towncars and SUVs instead of cabs, and you can save your credit card info through the app! You don’t even need cash! Using GPS to find your location, they text you a confirmation, they let you know how long it will be till the car arrives, and the driver also calls to confirm. It’s really genius! Plus, they add the taxes and tip on your presaved card info, so you don’t even have to do any math after drinking all night 🙂 They have Uber in tons of cities, so you can use it almost wherever you go!
They are super professional and it should be a completely affordable ride from the hotel, especially if you’re a new user! Uber has partnered with us to offer you $20 OFF YOUR FIRST RIDE!! Just go to your phone app store, download Uber on your smartphone (free download), sign yourself up, and fill in your info. Use the code “30yrs1wish” to receive the $20 discount!!! (Valid only for new users, only on rides requested 9/21 5pm – 9/22 4am, only applicable on rides taken to or from Red Brick Brewing Co)
Live Entertainment, a.k.a. Woodward in Da House
Band: The Higher Choir.
We’d like to thank Grant Mitchell, a fellow WA alum! You are the best! Like them on FB here!
DJ: Lawer “Kojo” Kisseih.
Sponsors and Raffle Items
We’d like to thank Yumbii food truck for providing yummy treats all night! Yumbii is Atlanta’s first and finest food truck, offering an authentic, gourmet fusion of world flavors with a street food twist. Dubbed “Far Out Food” for its scrumptious blend of Asian and Mexican flavors, you can find Yumbii rolling around all over the city.
- THE GRAND PRIZE: Bote Boards has donated the Grand Prize, a SUP worth $1400!!!!! Founded in 2009 by Magda and Corey Cooper, BOTE’s roots were very modest. BOTE literally grew from the simple concept of developing a stand-up paddle board that is designed to be fished from–a board that would justly serve fisherman, surfers and paddle enthusiasts alike.
- Uber has also been amazing enough to donate $100 in Uber credits for new or established Uber users!! That’s a lot of money that can get you private car service rides all over the place! Purchase those raffle tickets to win this amazing prize!!
- UPDATE: Beth Melberg Photography is donating not one but THREE Beach Packages (2 Package A, 1 Package B)!!! (Upgrades to Package B or C will be permitted either before or after the session to accommodate specific needs (or must haves!). In addition, clients might wish to purchase prints, albums, canvases and/or custom designed cards (engagement, holiday, etc.)) Package A is worth $279 and Package B is worth $500!!! Holy crap, you cannot find a better photographer anywhere for you and your family! Our entire family has pictures from our session with her three years ago that we cherish beyond belief. The list of beach locations is listed below (includes 30-A beaches, i.e. Rosemary Beach to Destin and every beach in between those areas). You’d better believe that buying raffle tickets to win this item will be your best idea ever!
- Fab’rik, one of my favorite stores ever in Atlanta, has generously donated a Rockstar Party! If you haven’t been to one yet, you DEFINITELY want to win this item! A Rockstar Party at Fab’rik includes a private shopping experience for you and up to 20 of your friends! You can shop with personal stylists after the store closes, drink complimentary beverages, and receive 20% off ALL your purchases! It is a $300 value!
- Thanks to yet another amazing WA alum and dear friend, we are also raffling off 2 $25 gift certificates to any Häägen Dazs!!! Um, that sounds absolutely delicious and I may have to (unethically) fight y’all on that one! Buy those raffle tickets!
- Another amazing raffle prize from yet another amazing WA alum!! Dinner for 2 at a Salted Honey FEAST, valued at $120. “Be a guest at one of Salted Honey’s monthly roving Atlanta FEASTs and enjoy 3 courses + dessert + cocktail and wine pairings. Salted Honey hosts something different each month according to the location they chose so you’ll never know what awesomeness you’ll be in for. Visit saltedhoney.com to see details from some of their previous FEASTs.”
- Tucker House has donated an incredible gift basket and gift card, worth $70!
- The Caesar family (parents of 2001 WA Alum Crystal Caesar Lewis) has generously donated a pair of tickets to the Braves vs. Phillies game, Sat. Sept. 28 @ 7:10 PM, located right behind home plate!! Includes ticket holder access to 755 club, 33% discount at some concession stands, $10 credit each ticket = $20 toward food, beverage and gift shops! These tickets are worth $160!
- The Warren City Club offers a fresh alternative to the typical night out in Atlanta, a beautiful setting for a special Sunday Brunch, or the perfect location for your next event. Set high above the bustle of the popular Virginia-Highland neighborhood on the 3rd floor of a turn-of-the-century building, with a stylish interior consisting of aged brick walls, high ceilings, exposed beams, five fireplaces, and a beautiful 400 square foot garden terrace graced with a sweeping view of the city skyline, The Warren sets an ideal scene for dining, relaxing and celebrating. The Warren City Club has donated a single dinner membership, good for 1 year, worth $200!
Thanks and Dedication
We would like to thank you all for being a part of this incredibly special and meaningful birthday. If we hadn’t had your love and support all these years, this idea wouldn’t have occurred to us. So for that, we thank you!
This party is also in honor and memory of our late family and friends who we wish had been part of some amazing memories in our lives. They have left a lasting impression on us and they are truly missed.
VB and Timmy